Goole AFC v Trojans 7/12/19


Football returned after an almost seven week rain assisted hiatus and after a brief reminder of the rules and main objectives of the game the Trojans headed for the Victoria Pleasure Grounds home of ninth place Goole AFC, although league placings, form, stats and the like were largely irrelevant after such a long layoff.

Both sides began the game going a bit long to feel their way back into it and to get a feel of the playing surface which to be fair like most of them at this time of year wasn’t really conducive to a slick tippy tappy, easy on the eye passing game. Goole were caught offside more than once and a few of our passes were not reaching their intended target.

But, it didn’t take long for us to get into the groove again with Jordan Claxton crossing from the left hand side for Mitchell Langton to shoot but well over the bar…then Sam Finlaw improvised a pass by digging out the sand wedge to chip it over the Vikings defence giving Michael Burke something to chase but goalkeeper Aiden Smith beat him to the loose ball.

Burke seems to love it at Goole having scored twice in a 3-0 win there last season and… he was all over it once again. it was he who was fouled for Charlie Oglesby to head just wide from Mark Dudleys resultant freekick from the right and Burke again who supplied the cross from the left this time, which was just nicked away from the head of his strike partner Jon Froggatt just as he was about to aim for goal.

Those chances however came either side of Jordan Windass effort who looked to have scored, arguably against the run of play for the hosts when his cross from the right looped over Myles Wright in the Staveley goal and in at the far post but thankfully the view was a little deceptive as it actually hit the roof of the net and out for a goal kick.

Back up the other end Jordn Claxtons deft touch on the edge of the area caused problems in the home defence where …Matty Parkin reacted to a deflection off a defensive block by overhead kicking Staveley into the lead with twenty minutes gone as it “popped” up off the floor.

Goole AFC 0 – 1 Trojans

Another good move three minutes later almost doubled the lead… Brad Jones and again Michael Burke worked well on the right handside to spot Matty Parkins movement off that same wing, catching the fullback in two or three minds on whether to go to the ball or follow Parkin. In the end doing neither allowing Staveleys goalscorer to bear down on goal once more but firing an outside of the right boot effort just past the far post.

Goole came more and more into the game from then however and former Trojan Josh Schofields long range effort on twenty five minutes had Myles Wright diving to his left to cover it as the ball whistled narrowly wide and then on the half hour a lively Devonte Morton played in Jordan Windass to cross low into the box finding Terry Barwick in front of goal but he could only place his shot over the bar…the linesman did flag however but whether that was for offside or the goal kick, it was a let off for Staveley who were happy to hear the referee blow the half time whistle with the lead intact.

HT: Goole AFC 0 – 1 Trojans

Pat Lindley came on to replace Matty Parkin to shore things up a little defensively and halt the changing tide from the end of the first half but that tide immediately changed back in the Trojans favour when Jon Froggatt held the ball up and flicked it to Micheal Burke who did the rest by out pacing Ambo Adana and sticking the ball into the net.

Goole AFC 0 – 2 Trojans

There was still a long time to go however and ten minutes later Goole got back into the game with Devonte Mortons fine strike into the bottom corner from range.

Goole AFC 1 – 2 Trojans

The Trojans lost Brad Jones not long after to an injury with Gary Mundy coming on requiring a bit of a reshuffle and as they got used to the new defensive formation, just like the end of the first half the game kind of swung back in the favour of the hosts, whilst it wasn’t incessant pressure there were couple of …shall we say wobbly moments where a last gasp block here and there kept the Vikings at bay… Regan Wauds acrobatic overhead kick that went just shy of the far posts being the best of their efforts.

Things were made comfortable-ish with fifteen minutes to go, persistent play from Pat Lindley and Morgan James enabled Mitchel Langton to ping in a dangerous cross from wide right which had the Goole defence at sixes and sevens and when the ball fell kindly to Michael Burke he made no mistake by rolling it under Aiden Smith in goal from a tight angle.

Goole AFC 1 – 3 Trojans

Three became four two minutes from time with Burke wrapping up his hattrick with Jon Froggatt again being the perfect foil with another brilliant bit of hold up play and flick, to allow Burke once again to race clear, he was however wide of the goal and credit goes to Goole keeper Aiden Smith for good initial save racing out to block but Burke kept his composure to turn on the rebound and curl it into the empty net. worth mentioning here that Froggatt even after the goals he has scored in his career chose to allow the ball to go in rather than put it himself!

Goole AFC 1 – 4 Trojans

Some gloss was taken off the final score in the dying moments of the game with another fine strike from a similar place as their first from Jordan Windass whose low shot flew through a crowded area and in past an unsighted Myles Wright.

FT: Goole AFC 2 – 4 Trojans


Leave a Reply

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020