Stocksbridge PS (aet Stocks' 4-1 Pens) 2 - 2 Staveley Miners Welfare FC

07/11/2017 - 7:45 pm

After receiving a bye in the first round the Trojans were given a tough looking assignment against a side that are flying high in the division above and so named a strong line up which showed only two changes from the league game on Saturday with Josh Madin and Ricky Hanson returning to the defence. The home side also showed how much they respected Staveley and the competition by also making just two changes from their last league game against Kidsgrove Athletic.

As you’d expect the home side went for it from the off trying to catch Staveley off guard before they could get used to playing at that level, with Brodie Litchfield seeing his shot blocked inside the first minute.

The attacks continued but the Trojans weathered the storm and slowly but surely began to ask questions themselves with Tom Ellis, Callum Mawbey and Josh Madin patiently keeping possession at the back before spotting Adam Baskerville coming short to receive a forward pass before knocking it down for a one two with Adam Lee who, slightly over hit the return element and Stocksbridge goalkeeper David Reay was able to claim.

Reay played out from the back but Staveley pressed high up the pitch forcing a mistake from the defence who presented the ball straight to Adam Baskerville he couldn’t make anything of the opportunity however but seconds later more sloppy play from the home defence allowed Callum Mawbey to look for Adam Lee in the box… David Reay managed to punch clear but only to Adam Baskerville who lobbed Reay, now in no mans land at the edge of his area but saw his effort just curl wide of the left hand post.

The quick movement of the forward thinking players for the home side was causing the Trojans problems but they were determined to give a good account of themselves and put their bodies on the line for the cause and ten minutes in Joe Lumsden was closed down by two or three orange shirted players from S43 and from six yards out he couldn’t get a shot away. Then Rory Coleman saw a similar effort to Adam Baskervilles earlier lob at the other end go wide of the post also.

As well as Staveley were doing it was difficult to see how they could withstand wave after wave of attacks for the whole game and like any underdog they needed something… and that duly came in the seventeenth minute when the front two combined once more when a cleared Stocksbridge freekick which came of the head of their own captain Liam McFadden under pressure from Josh Madin, fell to Adam Lee who first time, hooked a pass round the corner for Adam Baskerville to chase. He was beaten to it by Ben Rhodes but his attempted headed back pass was short and landed perfectly for Baskerville and with David Reay rushing out of his goal to also meet the threat he once again found himself in no man’s land allowing “basky” to lob him and wheel away in celebration when it bounced into the open goal…

Stocksbridge Park Steels 0 – 1 Staveley MW

Its often called an “insurance goal” and it gave the Trojans a bit of elbow room in the game, they nearly had enough “room” to swing the proverbial cat just moments after the restart when Robson Doolan was sonically fouled as he drove for goal.. the resultant freekick however presented an arguably better chance and Craig Nelthorpe forced David Reay into an excellent save as he tipped the ball that was destined for the op right hand corner wide for a corner. From that corner Stoackbrdige broke and crossed from the left where a brave Matty Leese was clattered by Joe Lumsden who “headed” the ball goal wards but wide with what looked like his hand!.

There was some concern for Leese who was down for quite some time but he managed to pick himself up and continued but was clearly not 100%, but still he soldiered on and pulled off a brilliant one handed save six minutes later tipping a rocket from Rory Coleman onto the crossbar.

The Trojans couldn’t hold out until halftime however as Joe Lumsden minutes after being unable to warp his foot round the ball enough firing Ben Rohdes low cross inches wide he headed home from a corner from the right won following another excellent Matty Leese save.

HT:Stocksbridge PS 1 – 1 Staveley MW

Tyla Bell came on for Staveley replacing the injured Adam Lee at the start of the second half, and now Stocksbridge were looking comfortable passing it around the back into midfield and back again trying to move the Trojans around who they kept their defensive shape well but were perhaps guilty of waiting for the home side to attack rather than forcing them into errors however it wasn’t until ten minutes into the half that they fashioned a chance with Richard Stirrup firing wide then Rory Coleman again seeing Matty Leese dive to keep out a goal bound freekick before an overhit George Grayson cross relived the danger.

Just past the hour Stocksbridges brilliant movement upfront  finally moved the Trojan defence around enough to give them the opportunity to strike from just inside the area but with Matty Leese beaten the “magic of the Cup” fairy sprinkled some dust on his goal and the effort hit Stocksbridges number seven Brodie Litchfield on the line, went back out to the edge and another shot was cleared off the line this time by several Staveley defenders.

Was it to be our night? A tactical switch saw Josh Barker replace Ash Rawson and he took up his customary left back position allowing Callum Mawbey to go into a more familiar role in the left midfield area. That proved pivotal as it was Mawbey who supplied the ball from the left into Tyla Bell in the sixty ninth minute… Bell contolled the bounce well got in front of George Grayson and clipped it over David Reay who despite getting a hand to it couldn’t stop it looping into the goal nor could Liam Mcfaden who acrobatically tried to hook it off the line.

Stocksbridge 1 – 2 Staveley MW

With twenty minutes left the home side threw on Scott Ruthven and went direct, but it was the Trojans who looked more likely as the game drew to a close with Callum Mawbey clipping the outside of the post with a shot across goal from the left and Adam Baskerville just failing to head home Tyla Bells cross…

The referee indicated four minutes of added time and with just one of those left the home side broke Trojan hearts with an equaliser from Rory Coleman who capitalised on a rear defensive are to riffle it in at the near post from the left just inside the area… and so into extra time the tie went.

FT:Stocksbridge 2 – 2 Staveley MW

Extra time is a usually cagey tedious affair with no team wanting to risk losing having put so much into the previous ninety minutes and straight to penalties would be my preferred option if given it but this one wasn’t like that.  Staveley looked fitter, sharper in the first fifteen minutes, keeping shape well when they had to, restricting the home side to keeping possession with no real idea where to go,  and with an overhead kick from Tyla Bell and a couple of shots from Callum Mawbey they looked most likely to take the victory.

It was pretty much the same at the beginning of the second fifteen, Callum Mawbey and Josh Barker worked an angle for the former to cross into Tyla Bell in a similar position to his goal but this time David Reay managed to smother the chance. As the spectre of the penalty shootout reared its head shots rained in from Stocksbridge and Matty Leese again was equal to an effort from Rory Coleman and how a low cross was steered over the bar from one yard out only they will know.

Before that shootout there was one last chance where Jack Turnbulls shot was blocked by a sliding challenge which appeared to then be handled away to safety but the referee was having none of it and no penalty was given.

AET:Stocksbridge Park Steels 2 – 2 Staveley MW

And so to the shootout ….

A limping Matty Leese went between the sticks first to face Rory Coleman who…Scored 1-0 Stocksbridge

Callum Mawbey stepped up for the Trojans and… saw it saved by the feet of David Reay.

Liam McFadden was next and he…..scored 2-0 Stockbridge

Jack Turnbull…scored 2-1 Stocksbridge

Scott Ruthven….Scored to make it 3-1 Stocksbridge

Adam Baskerville unfortunately saw his effort hit the crossbar

So if former Torjan Todd Jordan could score it would be the Steels that went though, he struck his penalty well and….scored

Final Score: Stocksbridge PS 2 – 2 Staveley MW (aet) Stocksbrdge 4-1 on penalties.

Gutted for the lads who had done the town and its supporters proud!

Team:1.Matty Leese.2.Liam Nelthorpe.3.Callum Mawbey.4.Ash Rawson(16.Josh Barker).5.Josh Madin(14.Jack Turnbull).6.Tom Ellis.7.Ricky Hanson.8.Robson Doolan.9.Adam Lee.(15.Tyla Bell) 10.Adam Baskerville.11.Craig Nelthorpe

Not Used:12.Matt Robinson.

Attendance : 35

Man of the Match: Matty Leese.

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020