Armthorpe Welfare 1 - 1 Staveley MWFC

18/02/2017 - 3:00 pm at Welfare Ground

NCEL Premier Division – Armthorpe Welfare 1 – 1 Staveley MWFC

Staveley’s season got back underway after an enforced three week winter weather break and made two changes to the side that lost 3-2 away to Maltby Main all the way back on 1st February, with Tom Ellis having used the break to recover from a slight knock returning at left back and Adam Lee returned to face his former club up front, alongside another former Armthorpe Welfare player Tyla Bell.

After a brief period of pressure from the home side which, after two corners in quick succession resulted in a shot from the edge of the area by Michel Collins which deflected into the arms of Lewis Naylor, any thoughts of rustiness following the layoff were soon banished as the Trojans swarmed about their opponents not giving them anytime to settle further into the match.

Shaun Nesbitts block from an attempted clearance fell to Callum Mawbey with his back to goal on the right hand side of the box, favouring his left foot however he turned inside where there were enough defenders available to clear for a corner from which Tyla Bell was judged to have committed a foul as he jumped to head towards goal.

Seven minute on the clock now and Tyla Bell won the ball on the halfway line turned on a sixpence then fed Adam Lee as he ran beyond his strike partner. Lee won a throw, taken by Tom Ellis to Steve Carty who shaped to cross left footed into the box but instead slipped the ball to Lee once more who held off his marker and first time touched it through to Tom Ellis on the overlap to cross low into the box but unfortunately it was cleared away.

The Trojans were rampant and were not giving the home side any time or space to clear their lines for any sustained period of time to get a much needed breather, and even when they did manage to clear the danger, Josh Madin in the heart of the Staveley defence was on hand to head Staveley back onto the attack.

Another flowing move was started off by Liam Nelthorpe who found Tyla bell out on the right and his cutback found Adam Lee just inside the area who helped it on to Callum Mawbey who shot from the left across goal but saw it blocked.

Only fifteen minutes had gone and the travelling fans from North Derbyshire couldn’t quite believe their side wasn’t three or four up already and they went close again when a “busy” Tyla Bell and Shaun Nesbitt closed down another attempted clearance yet again. This one fell to Kurtis Morley who was bundled over resulting in an Adam Lee freekick which unfortunately hit the outside of the “loop” used to hang the netting on…but looked like it had gone in from certain angles.

The home goal certainly was living a charmed life, none more so than around the twentieth minute when Adam Lee chipped Shaun Nesbitts pass over an advanceding Armthorpe goalkeeper Adam Stevens but also the bar. Then when Tom Ellis advanced up the line on the left hand side with a series of throws, resulting in a battle for the ball which Callum Mawbey won to cross low for Tyla Bell, whose scuffed shot was destined for the far corner had it not been for a man on the post and again when after the clearance the ball landed out left for Tom Ellis to cross into Adam Lee whose carbon copy shot was saved by Adam Stevens.

The curse was broken however on twenty five minutes when great work from Shaun Nesbitt once again stopped Armthorpe clearing their lines and from a resultant throw in, Nesbitt found the head of Tyla Bell who flicked it to Adam Lee who smashed it into the roof of the net from eight yards out.

Armthorpe Welfare 0 – 1 Staveley MW

It should have been more a couple of minutes later as Tyla Bell received a pass from Callum Mawbey which would have put him through one on one with Adam Stevens had he not been bizarrely penalised for a foul which looked innocuous at best.

After half an hour Armthorpe defender, Josh Gibbons issued a rallying call to his team mates to “stay in the game” and despite anther brilliantly crafted move which resulted in Shaun Nesbitt crossing for Tyla Bell to head over, that’s exactly what they did and even managed to create some shooting opportunities for themselves but wasted them.

HT: Armthorpe Welfare 0 – 1 Staveley MW

The “while ever its one nil” cliché came back to haunt the Trojans as the second half display didn’t quite match up to the first and the home side “still in the game” finally started to mount a serious challenge on the Staveley goal. Managing to get back on level terms when they broke quickly following the breakdown of a Staveley attack and found Bradley Johnson in acres of space on the right hand side of the box to steer the ball home.

Armthorpe Welfare 1 – 1 Staveley MW

Staveley went back on the front foot and fifteen minutes from time had the chance to take the lead once more from twelve yards when penalty was awarded for a foul on Tyla Bell who won the ball in front of a defender who cleared Bell instead of the ball.

Adam Lee stepped up but saw his effort well saved by Adam Stevens who guessed correctly in diving to his left and clawed it to safety. Adam Lee had one more chance towards the end when he was well found by Liam Nelthorpe but Stevens came out to smother at his feet to deny Staveleys leading goal scorer once more.

FT: Armthorpe Welfare 1 – 1 Staveley MW

1.Lewis Naylor 2.Liam Nelthorpe 3.Tom Ellis 4.Josh Madin 5.Matt Robinson 6.Steve Carty 7.Shaun Nesbitt (14. Reece Lucas) 8.Kurtis Morley (12 Craig Getliff) 9.Adam Lee 10.Tyla Bell 11.Callum Mawbey

Subs not used: 15. Ashley Bartle

Attendance: 72

Man of the Match: Josh Madin

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020