Bridlington Town 2 - 0 Staveley Miners Welfare FC

18/11/2017 - 3:00 pm

Ash Rawson and Rob Darkin returned to the starting line up for the trip to the seaside. The only other change saw Charlie Oglesby make a welcome first appearance of the season after recovering from a back injury sustained away at Maltby Main way back in February.

Queensgate isn’t the happiest of hunting grounds for the Trojans but after excellent defensive covering from Robson Doolan had thwarted Brett Agnew during the first Bridlington attack, they settled well…

Adam Baskerville collected the ball just outside the area where a tackle from behind resulted in a freekick for the Trojans. Which Craig Nelthorpe floated into the area for Charlie Oglesby to flick wide with his head.

The home side have been busy in the transfer market recently and their new signings were keen to impress and after ten or so minutes began to press high up the field causing some hurried passes and clearance but still Staveley looked composed going forward with Ricky Hanson on the right going back to Liam Nelthorpe who looked forward with a cross from deep which was collected inside the box by Tyla Bell. He was sent tumbling to the floor but the referee deemed it be a great tackle from the home defence, and therefore the Trojans were not awarded a penalty… Bell and the other players in and around the incident didn’t make too much of it though so it was a good decision…probably.

The good start was almost undone by a poor lay off to Charlie Oglesby which left the Trojans left back with no chance to stop a cross reaching Brett Agnew on his own inside the box but he was thwarted by a brilliant Matty Leese who flicked out a right hand as he spread himself after coming out to narrow the angle…as it happens the offside flag had been raised so it wouldn’t have counted anyway but Leese wasn’t to know that at the time.

Oglesby was in the thick of the action of the other end too and in conjunction with Craig Nelthorpe he pinged two decent crosses into the box with his less favoured right foot but neither would drop for the Blue and white clad Staveley forwards in the box, as they lost the flight of the ball in the dazzling low winter sunshine.

Staveley were playing well but they needed a goal and with Bridlington being one of those perennial title chasing teams they had to be wary that their good start wasn’t going to unravel… after twenty minutes an Alexander Davidson shot was deflected to their main man in front of Brett Agnew but again he was thwarted by a several Trojan defenders who launched themselves in front of his effort to block… and five minutes later Staveleys Craig Nelthorpe was booked for an altercation with Andrew Norfolk which was certainly six of one and half a dozen of the other but Bridlingtons rightback got away scot free even though he refused to calm the situation down right in front of the referee.

That and several more bizarre one sided cautions kind of put Staveley on the back foot sparking the home side into life and they created several more half chances before the break with Joel Sutton dinking the ball into the box looking for Alexander Davidson but finding the hands of Matty Leese instead and the lively Sutton again found Davidson but his header crashed against the bar.

HT: Bridlington Town 0 – 0 Staveley MW

The Staveley fans were reasonably pleased with their teams first half showing but emerged from the clubhouse still enjoying their halftime refreshments when a cross from the right found Danny Buttle free on the left and he rifled Bridlington into the lead with a shot across goal which went in at the far post.

Bridlington Town 1 – 0 Staveley MW

Two minutes later a great tackle thwarted Tyla Bell who was just about to pull the trigger for what would be Staveleys only real chance of the half.

This game of two halves was effectively settled in favour of the home side in the fifty fifth minute when Brett Agnew raced clear, and was able to round Matty Leese and slot home into the empty net.

Bridlington Town 2 – 0 Staveley MW

The Trojans continued to compete but the only chance they really had of making a game of it fell to Charlie Oglesby whose near post header from a corner went wide just after the hour. Then to compound a disappointing second half substitute Callum Mawbey was given a straight red card in the last minute of the game which, was unseen by the majority of the Staveley faithful as they made their way back to the clubhouse but was later confirmed as under some provocation a swung elbow on Andrew Norfolk therefore worthy of the earlyish bath.

FT: Bridlington Town 2 – 0 Staveley MW

Team:1.Matty Leese.2.Liam Nelthorpe.3.Charlie Oglesby.4.Ash Rawson.5.Josh Madin.6.Rob Darkin.7.Ricky Hanson(16.Jack Turnbull) .8.Robson Doolan.9.Tyla Bell(12.Calum Mawbey)10.Adam Baskerville.11.Craig Nelthorpe.

Not used:14.Josh Barker

“Official” Attendance:150

Man of the match: Josh Madin

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020