Staveley MW 1 - 1 Worksop Town

16/09/2017 - 3:00 pm

For the first derby of the season the Trojans welcomed back Robson Doolan and Ricky Hanson to the starting line-up and also gave a starting debut to former Leeds United academy prospect Jack Turnbull who arrived earlier in the week from Sheffield FC and the visitors, having prematch bemoaned the loss of at least nine first team players through various reasons were also ringing the changes…

Both sides began the game in typical derby fashion battling for supremacy in midfield where Robson Doolan took a high boot to the face from Jack Barnett resulting in a free kick just outside the area which unfortunately the Trojans couldn’t make anything out of.

Then after both sides had enjoyed some good possession Alec Denton pounced on an errant Staveley pass and jinked, this way and that finding himself in the box but Josh Madin made sure that he couldn’t get a shot away with a strong sliding challenge which was collected by Micah Bishop, just inside the area,however he got his angles all wrong and clipped the ball harmless out for a goalkick.

Then it was Staveleys turn to go forward with Josh Barker being given the opportunity to cross from the left by some clever play from Liam Nelthorpe, Ash Rawson and a cheeky back heel from Kurtis Morley but new boy Jack Turnbulls stab towards goal was blocked. And the you have a go we’ll have a go feel to the game was pretty much how it carried on throughout the ninety minutes.

Tigers, James Jepson tested Matty Leese with a freekick ten minutes in given for a soft looking foul on former Trojan Jordan Turner but Staveleys goalkeeper was equal to it grasping it to his chest and quickly looking to set Staveley off on another attack…

The goalkeeping at the other end wasn’t as confident however and just before the hour a looping Josh Barker cross that seemed was flapped at little bit by newly signed Tigers ‘keeper Jason Alexander and panically “fresh aired” his attempted subsequent clearance which allowed Ash Rawson to get a shot away but it dropped just wide as Alexander, in no man’s land who didn’t really know too much about it and two defenders deflected the effort from the Trojans team captain agonisingly wide of the far post. Nothing came of the corner though.

The first half ended in controversy as tigers midfielder James Jepson  saw Matty Leese ever so slightly off his line and clipped a shot from twenty five yards out which went over Staveleys goalkeeper hit the underside of the crossbar bouncing down, then out again for Matty Leese to clear. The large contingent from Worksop cheered the goal but it hadn’t crossed the line in the opinion of the officials causing some of the fans from the top of the A619 to get a bit over excited…

Was it it in? Well replays would show that yes it was but the crucial fact was… the scores remained level at the break.

Staveley MW 0 – 0 Worksop Town

As if to rub salt into the wound the Trojans took the lead ten minutes in the second half when Josh Barkers corner was headed goalwards by Tom Ellis only for it to be blocked in the six yard box… Kurtis Morley showed great determination to not allow the Worksop defence the easy task of clearing their lines and managed to stab the ball back to Ash Rawson who smashed into the roof of the net.

Staveley MW 1 – 0 Worksop Town

That kind of knocked the stuffing out of the visitors for a bit and the Trojans nearly went two in front on the hour when Liam Nelthorpe sent Josh Barker free on the left hand side to cross for a Robson Doolan tap in. Only for the offside flag to go against Staveleys left winger…again replays arguably show the decision to be incorrect so at least it was now one a piece on the controversial decisions front…and the ground was strangely quiet regarding that one.

Robson Doolan was caught in two minds soon after, when Tyla Bell had found him just outside the area. But, with Kurtis Morley square of him in the box he neither troubled Jason Alexander with a shot nor found Morley as the ball trickled harmlessly out for a goal kick.

The tigers found their feet once again after that though but whilst enjoying large amounts of possession in the final fifteen minutes their final ball was dealt with comfortably by the Trojan defence with Matty Leese’ showing impeccable handling to pluck cross after cross out of the sky.

But with the Trojans seemingly unable to get the ball into a “game managing” position up the field often enough, their only chance coming via an excellent volley on the turn from Tyla Bell which tigers ‘keeper Jason Alexander needed all of his 6ft plus to be able to turn round the post… it was perhaps inevitable that the visitors would get a chance to equalise and that they did when Steve Wankiewicz headed Jason Alexanders long punt upfield into Kyle Jordan who volleyed it into the back of the net in the final minute of the game…the one clear chance they got!

FT: Staveley MW 1 – 1 Worksop Town

Team:1.Matty Leese 2.Jack Turnball 3. Ricky Hanson 4.Ash Rawson 5.Joshua Madin 6.Tom Ellis 7.Liam Nelthorpe 8.Robson Doolan 9.Kurtis Morley (17.Adam Lee) 10.Tyla Bell11.Josh Barker

12.Callum Mawbey 14.Matt Robinson 16.Josh Schofield GK Lewis Naylor


Man of Match:Josh Madin

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020