Staveley MWFC 4 - 2 Maltby Main

25/02/2017 - 3:00 pm at Inkersall Road

Staveley Miners Welfare (2) 4
Tyla Bell 12
Kurtis Morley 31, 75
Adam Lee 57

Maltby Main (1) 2
Steve Hopewell 29
Ryan Carroll 90

Highlights from the game…

An injury to Matt Robinson forced a shakeup at the back which saw the versatile Tom Ellis play at centre back alongside Josh Madin who impressed last week at Armthorpe with Steve Carty replacing Elis at left back. There was a change in midfield too as Ash Rawson returned from suspension and Craig Getliff returned alongside him in the centre. Whilst Ricky Hanson and josh Schofield served the last game of their respective suspensions but both were in attendance to cheer on their team mates.

The last game between the two sides was just two games ago and ended in a tetchy 3-2 defeat for the Trojans and this one had its “moments” too!

Staveley where back in the blue and white for the first time in ages kicking towards the school end of the ground but it was the visitors who started proceedings at a rainy Inkersall Road and forced a corner early on which just missed the head of Richard Adams and fell kindly to Kurtis Morley who cleared to Tyla Bell whose knockdown would’ve landed with Craig Getliff had he not been pulled back by a retreating Dean Smith resulting in the first of the many freekicks given during the ninety minutes. Which eventually resulted in a shot which went well wide from Adam Lee.

The Trojans began to exert some pressure but found it difficult to break down Maltby who were working well for each other getting behind the ball, blocking crosses etc and looked dangerous from set pieces. Their hard work was undone however in the twelth minute when a hopeful looking hooked ball forward from Adam Lee was dealt with by left back Joseph Austin with a simple backpass to his keeper Danny Rusling. Rusling however made a mess of the clearance and “passed” it straight to Tyla Bell who turned quickly and lofted the ball over Rusling into far corner of the net.

Staveley MW 1 – 0 Maltby Main

The vistors set piece prowess continued to cause problems and straight after going a goal behind they forced another corner from which Ash Rawsons clearance ricocheted of Richard Adams onto the near post and back to Adams who lifted the rebound over, from four yards out.

On sevntte minutes a second Staveley goal lokked on the cards as via a Liam Nelthorpe throwin and a Tyla Bell knock down Craig Getliff was able to send Adam Lee down the right hand side and his cross to the far post was headed over by Callum Mawbey.

But Maltbys hard work paid off just before the half hour mark when a long throw from Nicky Darker was flicked on by Dean Smith into the path of Steven Hopewell who after a neat turn in the box slotted it between the legs of Lewis Naylor, in goal for Staveley.

Staveley MW 1 – 1 Maltby Main

The scores remained level for just a couple of minutes however as when Tom Ellis swung a freekick, given for a high foot challenge on Steve Carty, from inside his own half into the box, Adam Lee was bundled to the ground and once the referee who had a great view of the incident had sorted out the melee involving several players from both sides which ensued, he awarded the Trojans a penalty which was duly despatched by Kurtis Morley.

Staveley MW 2 – 1 Maltby Main

And that’s how it finished going into the break but Adam Lee had a glorious chance to give the Trojans a two goal advantage when Kurtis Morleys low cross into the box was fluffed by ‘keeper Danny Rusling but Lee couldn’t sort his feet out in time to tap the ball into the net at the far post.

HT: Staveley MW 2 – 1 Maltby Main

Seven minutes into the second half a brief moment of hesitation in the Staveley defence allowed Ryan Carroll a chance to equalise and he should have done better when he made a great run to strike Danny Pattersons ball into him but shot straight into the arms of Lewis Naylor.

Just before the hour the Trojans went further in front when persistence from Tyla Bell not allowing Maltby to clear their lines forced a series of corners, the second of which was played back by Callum Mawbey to Ash Rawson on the edge of the area and he crossed into the box where visiting ‘keeper Danny Rusling punched the ball onto the head of Adam Lee who wheeled away in celebration after watching his “header” go over the line.

Staveley MW 3 – 1 Maltby Main

Kurtis Morley - Staveley MWFCThe visitors kept plugging away but had somewhat run out of ideas and the Trojans made sure of the win fifteen minutes from time when Ash Rawson swept a crossfield ball out to Man of the Match Kurtis Morley (pictured), who received the ball on the left and waited whilst Craig Getliff overlapped on the outside. Morley used him as a decoy however to cut inside and strike a left footed drive into the bottom corner from outside the area.

Staveley MW 4 – 1 Maltby Main

There was still time for another goal which went the way of the visitors in the final minute when following the breakdown of a Staveley attack, Maltby broke quickly and Ryan Carroll first time from just outside stuck Steven Hopewell’s knock down between the posts, but there wasn’t enough time left for them to mount a serious attempt at a comeback and the Trojans recorded their first win in four games to get their league campaign back on track.

FT: Staveley MW 4 – 2 Maltby Main

1.Lewis Naylor 2.Liam Nelthorpe 3.Steve Carty 4.Josh Madin 5.Tom Ellis 6.Ash Rawson 7.Kurtis Morley (14.Joel Smith 87) 8.Craig Getliff 9.Adam Lee (12.Jake Vernon 80) 10.Tyla Bell 11.Callum Mawbey

Subs not Used: 15. Ash Bartle

Man of the Match: Kurtis Morley

Attendance: 115

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020