Staveley MWFC 3 - 3 Albion Sports

12/08/2017 - 3:00 pm

This fixture last season produced arguably the game of the season with four Trojans goals in the first half, a host of missed chances including a penalty for the visitors and four more goals for the Trojans in the second half and the reverse fixture ended 4-4 …this one surely wouldn’t be as dramatic or would it?

Staveley welcomed back Tom Ellis into the starting line up having missed the start of the campaign through a suspension picked up at the end of the last, he replaced Ash Rawson who was otherwise engaged with the more important task of welcoming his new daughter into the world… congratulations Ash.

The Trojans started well with good bouts of possession which produced efforts on goal from Liam Nelthorpe who shot wide after being set up with some nice one touch stuff from Josh Barker and Callum Mawbey out on the left hand side. and Mikey Collins on the right after being set up with some equally pleasing on the eye set up play involving a roaming Adam Colton and Liam Nelthorpe who were picking up the space in midfield, providing the easy outlet ball for the defence. Nelthorpe received a pass from an advancing Josh Madin and he clipped it for Collins to run onto to win the corner from which he shot over.

After twenty minutes though the visitors began to settle and pull out the one touch stuff themselves, Jow iwlks found Alex cusack who returned the favour to Wilks who then played in Omar Habeeb who tried an ambitious overhead kick after it had flicked it the air off the head of Adam Colton but Ricky Hanson blocked it out for a corner which resulted in a tame effort over the bar from play maker Rhys Jenkinson.

Five minutes later the Trojans went the closest so far when Liam Nelthorpes ball forward from deep was flicked on by Kurtis Morley to Mickey Collins who’s shot from just inside the area hit the side netting but was close enough for Albion goalkeeper Jake Lofthouse to dive to his left just incase.

Ten minutes before half time Albion were in the ascendency and firstly Danny Facey squared a teasing looking ball into the box which Staveley ‘keeper Matty Leese and Tom Ellis just about dealt with between them before it was worked back into Facey whose fierce shot on the turn was pushed away for a corner by a good save from Leese and he then comfortable held onto a long range shot from that restart, and to end the half he made another smart save when tipping over Rhys Jenkinson’s shot on the half volley following a flick on from Danny Facey.

HT:Staveley MW 0 – 0 Albion Sports

The half time whistle came at the clichéd “right time” and they used the break to good effect, regrouped and looked a much more composed outfit and on fifty four minutes they took the lead…

Another excellent ball from Liam Nelthorpe who once again took the ball from his defence found an advanced, up from right back Ricky Hanson who caused Alex Cusack to hurriedly clear to Adam Colton who instigated another of those one touch moves involving Mickey Collins, Liam Nelthorpe and Ricky Hanson before getting it back himself then crossing it into the box where it was cleared for a corner… Nelthorpe swung in that corner and following a bit of a scramble where the ball bounced of Josh Madin an Albion defender and goal keeper Jake Lofthouse before being stabbed home by Josh Barker.

Staveley MW 1 – 0 Albion Sports

The thirty five minute involved more twists and turns than your average roller coaster and ten minutes after taking the lead Kurtis Morley chased back to wrestle possession back for the Trojans out muscling Chris Fairhurst to set Josh Barker off down the left hand side and he squared it in the box where Tyla Bell stole in late at to smash it home.

Staveley MW 2 – 0 Albion Sports

Five minutes later and the visitors were back in it when a rash challenge from Tom Ellis on Danny Facey as he chased through ball from Alex Cusack saw Omar Habeeb score from the penalty spot.

Staveley MW 2 – 1 Albion Sports

Staveley restored their two goal advantage almost immediately when a Matty Leese’ freekick from his own area was launched forward and not dealt with properly by the Albion defence allowing Tyla Bell to shield the ball from Jake Lofthouse who was trying to catch it and chest it down for Kurtis Morley to steer into an open net.

Staveley MW 3 – 1 Albion Sports

With a two goal lead going into injury time that was surely the points wrapped up for the Trojans but tempt football at your peril and Albion pulled another goal back when Tom Ellis put Alex Cusacks cut back into his own net.

Staveley MW 3 – 2 Albion Sports

And quite unbelievably from the kick off the visitors roared forward and managed to grab a dramatic late late equaliser when Danny Facey poked in Stephen Smiths centre.

FT:Staveley 3 – 3 Albion Sports

Not sure I can take any more excitement involving Staveley and Albion – 22 goals in the last three games between the two!

Team:1.Matty Leese.2.Mickey Collins (16.Josh Schofield).3.Josh Barker.4.Tom Ellis.5.Josh Madin.6.Ricky Hanson.7.Liam Nelthorpe.8.Adam Colton(12.Jordan Hall).9.Kurtis Morley.10.Tyla Bell.11.Callum Mawbey

Not used:14.Joel Smith.17.Lewis Naylor

Man of the Match: Liam Nelthorpe

Attendance: 130

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020