Trojans v Silsden AFC : FA Vase First Round 13/10/2018


It was Fa Vase time again down at Inkersall Road and for the visit of North West Counties Premier Division outfit Silsden AFC who were third in the equivalent division to the Trojans so would be decent opposition but having played six games more there wasn’t that much to choose between the two sides stats wise at kick off.

The Trojans were forced into a change in midfield with Kumbirai Mutamba making his first start of the season replacing the injured Robson Doolan and brought Conner Williamson back into the centre of defence.

The opening was, as expected a bit to and fro with each side sussing each other out without creating much in the way of danger but both sides who, were trying to play football were hampered by a swirling wind that couldn’t make up its mind which way to blow…

…the first shot across the bows came from Liam Greenfield who drove at the heart of the visitors defence after Jahmal Riley had held off Craig Bentham on the centre sport to allow Jordan Claxton to feed him but he pulled his shot well wide. then ten minutes into the game once it had settled down Claxton turned provider again giving Matty Davis time and space to run at the heart of the Silsden defence where he was brought down by Joseph Gaughan just as he was about to shoot on the edge of the area.

Liam Greenfield stepped up to take but didn’t quite get hold of it as he would have liked and pulled his strike once again low to the left of the wall but in doing so the ball hit Adam Baskerville veering into the path of Matty Davies on the far post but he put it over the bar as he stretched.

arguably the best chance of the opening twenty minutes fell to Kumbirai Mutamba who disposed Kyle Hancock in midifield and raced unchallenged into the box but, didn’t trust his left foot enough to shoot or find an unmarked Jahmal Riley and in checking back onto his right allowed Josh Kaine to intercept and clear the danger, and an equally brilliant covering sliding challenge from Jordan Claxton denied Joseph Gaughan Silsdens first real chance on goal at the other end, after a defence splitting through ball from their main man in midfield Kyle Hancock.

Their second chance came not long after when William Storrie finished off a nice passing move with a shot from wide which just went wide of Myles Wrights post to be put behind for a corner, which fortunately came to nothing…they were getting closer however and not long after an audacious freekick from a long way out was palmed out by Myles Wright they took the lead when a defensive error allowed Joseph Gaughan the freedom of Staveley to pick out William Storrie who cut in from the right to slot home.

Staveley MW 0 – 1 Silsden AFC

Not to worry however as no sooner had the game kicked off again the scores were level… with Sam Finlaw finding Jahmal Riley who took one touch to control before rolling the ball into the bottom corner…it was that quick the cameraman only just manged to capture the strike after writing down the time for the first one.

HT: Staveley MW 1 – 1 Silsden AFC

The second half went pretty much the same way as the first with both sides playing football but not really coming up with much in the way of clear cut chances until just past the hour when a speculative long range Reece Kendall shot was saved by Myles Wright but ricocheted into Aidan Kirby who volleyed in the rebound to give Silsden the lead once again.

Staveley MW 1 – 2 Silsden AFC

Again like the first half Staveley didn’t have to wait long for a response..

Five minutes after going behind Myles Wright sent a freekick from the Trojan defensive third down the right hand side where it was initially cleared by the head of Reece Lyndon, but only as far as Sam Finlaw who after exchanging passes with Liam Greenfield sent substitute Matty Parkin down the right once more and his cross landed perfectly on the head of fellow sub Tyla Bell to nod home the equaliser.

Staveley MW 2 -2 Silsden AFC

With the prospect of extra time looming the Trojans were given a slight advantage when the visitors went down to ten men following a late challenge by Christopher Wademen on Brad Jones as he passed the ball up field that, was deemed worthy of a red card by the officials but the numerical advantage came too late in the game to make the difference and the extra thirty minutes proved necessary…

FT: Staveley MW 2 -2 Silsden AFC

Its not always easy to play against ten men particularly after ninety minutes of hard work against a good side like Silsden and it was they who infact had the first chance with William Storrie testing the reflexes of Myles Wright from range before Jordan Claxton for Staveley started a great move sending Joe Pugh in behind the defence where his first time hooked pass found Matty Parkin who struck it first time on the half volley as he ran onto the ball but saw it curl wide of the right hand post as it came off the top of his boot, – it would have been some goal had it flown in.

The whistle for full-full time was drawing close but there was still enough time for the drama of the afternoon to ratchet up a notch…with five minutes to go Joe Pugh was pushed from behind as he chased a cross from Conner Williamson which had been flicked on by Kyle Hancock defending for all he was worth but his penalty kick was saved by Silsden ‘Keeper Sammy Lee who also saved a shot from the melee which ensued from the rebound, in which Reece Lyndon was injured and Kyle Hancock was sent off for an off the ball incident reducing Silsden to nine. Again that red card came too late for the Trojans to take full advantage of and as a quirk of the Fa Vase means you can choose whether to finish the tie there and then on penalties or go to a replay – the two sides go at it again on Tuesday 16th October – if it as good as this first game was then I can’t wait.

FT: AET:  Staveley MW 2 -2 Silsden AFC

Trojans away Travel bus is setting off at 5pm ish for those wishing to join us in North Yorkshire.

Leave a Reply

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020