Trojans v Worksop Town


For the visit of Worksop Town on #Derbyday we made a couple of changes to the starting line up from the previous game in the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup against high Green Villa, reverting to line up from the previous league game with Brad Jones, Charlie Oglesby and Liam Greenfield all returning…. Also back in the starting lineup was Joe Pugh whose five goals in midweek earned him a recall.

The lower than of late temperature proved October had finally decided to make an appearance, the big coats were on and a good crowd of 291 turned up hoping to be warmed by a good game between two sides that have started the season reasonably well, rather than just the Bovril…a swirling wind made things worse and difficult for the players too.

The opening fifteen minutes set the tone for what would be a tight game with very few chances to write home about and it became clear very early on that one goal might just be enough to win this #clichealert

Slowly but surely the Trojans began to create some forward momemntum but were thwarted by Worksops “tigerish” defenders at the crucial moment that is until the thirty first minute when great movement by Jahmal Riley in the Staveley attacking third moved those same worksop defenders around enough for Jordan Claxton to find Joe Pugh with a throw in which in turn allowed Pugh to thread a pass to Riley. A quick touch took him away from Liam Royles and to the byline where he cut it back to Matty Parkin whose side footed effort was saved by David Reay in the visiting goal.

And that was that as far as the first half goes, sounds like a poor game but it actually wasn’t.  Just two teams giving it everything but  cancelling each other out.

The second half as so often is the case was largely the same but more chances were being carved out… the first of those went to Staveley when Joe Pugh received the ball from a Sam Finlaw freekick electing to shoot but it spoon off of the top of his boot and hit the side netting..

The Tigers were next when Kyle Jordan got the better of a tussle with Jordan Claxton to release Steven Woolley down the inside right channel and into the area where his shot was saved by Myles Wright but in getting a vital touch the ball deflected off Wright looping into Aaron Moxam whose header would’ve gone in had it not been for a brilliant headed clearance up and over his own crossbar by Conner Williamson.

As the game drew towards the business end Worksop were now the side looking most likely and sure enough in the seventy sixth minute they were awarded a freekick just on the edge of the area when Charlie Oglesby pulled back substitute Craig Mitchell as he was about to run clear on goal allowing Steven Woolley to step up and crash the set piece just beyond the reach of Myles Wright off the post and in. #qualitystrike

Staveley rallied and Matty Parkin forced a good save from David Reay as he met Matty Davies corner with a header from the edge of the box and Tyla Bell went close late on with an effort well outside the box but to no avail, and the visitors held on to take all three points from a game that had the proverbial 0-0 written all over it for so so long.

FT: Staveley MW 0 – 1 Worksop Town

Leave a Reply

© Copyright Staveley Miners Welfare Football Club 2016 - 2020